The presentations will be held in English, except for the 20th afternoon session which is in French
NOVEMBER, 20th 2019 (Afternoon)
Introduction: Bioeconomy of the timber sector
SESSION 1 – THE FOREST RESOURCE
This first session is dedicated to presentations dealing with how innovative end uses drawing on wood chemistry may transform traditional organisation of the forest and wood-derived industries and could add value and promote a better use of forest resources. It will include papers on raw material assessment (in terms of quality and quantity, forest resources or supply chains and cascading uses) and systems analysis (policy and economics, durability assessment, supply chains etc.) The session is dedicated to the participants of the Woodchem scientific conference and to forestry professionals. For forestry professionals (forest owners, forestry operators, wood transformers), it’ll offer the opportunity to know more about wood chemistry, opportunities it offers, and meet those who make it possible
3 pm – 4 pm: How should wood chemistry structured as a sector?
- From wood co-products to innovative sustainable bioactives : a whole value chain to build !, Armand Klem, Project manager at Norske Skog
- Wood chemistry must form part of an industrial strategy. Connections must be made between upstream and downstream in order to support its emergence, Francis Colin, Coordinator of the ExtraForEast project
- Presentation of innovations and markets that may emerge from a new wood chemistry sector, Andreas Kleinschmit, Head of Innovation & Research and International Affairs at the FCBA
4.45 pm to 5.45 pm: Round table
Chaired by Claude Roy
Chair of Le Club des bio-économistes
Lecturer and Director of the LERMAB
Director General of the Forêts & Bois de l’Est cooperative
Jean-Luc David Vaudrey
Chief Commercial Officer at Savoie Pan
Technical and R&D Director at Alban Muller
Open Innovation & Sustainable Innovation Manager
SEPPIC – Air Liquide Healthcare Specialty Ingredients
From 7 pm: Gala reception
Come along to continue the discussion and meet all participants from the WOODCHEM scientific conference.
NOVEMBER, 20th 2019 (Evening)
Gala diner – bringing together scientific conference participants and forestry professionnals
NOVEMBER, 21th 2019
SESSION 2 – MOLECULES DERIVED FROM WOOD FOR USE IN COMMODITY CHEMICALS
This session is dedicated to the fractioning, biorefinery and development of new bio-sourced platform molecules derived from lignin and polysaccharides (C5 and C6 compounds). Examples of collaborative research programmes involving academics and manufacturers are particularly welcome.
08.30 am – 10.30 am : Keynotes
- The steam explosion pretreatment for wood fractionation : a versatile process, Nicolas Brosse, Université de Lorraine, France
- Combined production of second-generation ethanol and lignin pellets, Xavier Duret, Résolve Energie, Canada
Resolve Energie is a Quebec-based start-up which started life in Université Sherbrooke. Its aim is to develop an industrial pilot for the production of cellulosic ethanol and lignin pellets for applications in the energy sectors from forest by-products.
- Looking for Advanced Ingredients for Beauty Care. Knock on wood!, Régis Marchand, Seppic Air liquide, France
SEPPIC is a chemical group that produces high-performance, innovative speciality ingredients manufactured using eco-friendly methods and following the 12 principles of green chemistry with applications in numerous sectors including beauty care, pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, animal health and materials.
- Wood as a source of chemical building blocks for functionnal compounds, Christine Charbonnier Gérardin, Université de Lorraine, France
10.30 am – 11.00 am : Coffee break and poster session
11:00 am – 12.30 pm : Oral communications
12.30 pm – 14.00 pm : Lunch and poster session
SESSION 3 – MOLECULES DERIVED FROM WOOD FOR USE IN SPECIALITY CHEMICALS
This session is dedicated to the extraction, characterisation and uses of secondary metabolites derived from wood. Uses may include antioxidants, antiseptics, nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics or any other applications… Examples of collaborative research programmes involving academics and manufacturers are particularly welcome.
14.00 pm – 16.00 pm : Keynotes
- Innovative wood extracts on their way towards the markets : product innovation pathway, Armand Klem, Norske Skog
- Le Bol d’air Jacquier, Marie Laure Delanef, Holiste, France
Holiste is developing an innovative process that promotes cellular oxygenation to improve the organism’s response to various pathologies. The process uses an active ingredient derived from the hydro-distillation of pine resin in Les Landes region of France.
- Black locust : an example of metabolite derived from wood for cosmetics used and phytopharmaceutical applications, Valérie Serrano, Alabn Muller International, France
Alban Muller International specialises in the production of high-quality plant extracts for use in cosmetics, particularly natural beauty products.
- Different approaches for the valorization of extractives of French Guyana wood species, Nadine Amusant, CIRAD, French Guiana
- French Guiana forest biomass, a sustainable source of highly bioactive compounds for various added-value markets. Economic model of integration and circular economy approach, Mariana Royer, Bio Stratege Guyane, French Guiana
Bio Stratege Guyane is a start-up specialising in the development of natural, eco-friendly products from French Guiana. The company specialises in plant eco-extraction with the aim of developing natural ingredients for a range of high added-value markets including cosmetics.
16.00 pm – 16.30 pm : Coffee break and poster session
16.30 pm – 18.00 pm : Oral communications
NOVEMBER, 22th 2019 (Morning)
SESSION 4 – NEW MATERIALS DERIVED FROM WOOD
This session is dedicated to the development of new materials derived from wood. It will cover solid wood modification, new composites from wooden biomass as well as new resins or polymers obtained from molecules or macromolecules extracted from wood. Here too, examples of collaborative research programmes involving academics and manufacturers are particularly welcome. Simultaneous interpretation available in English and French.
08.30 am – 10.30 am : Keynotes
- Innovative macromolecular architectures from aromatic building blocks extracted from wood: Our overview, Luc Averous, Université de Strasbourg, France
- From lignin to PU insulation foams: An industrial success story, Alexandru Sarbu, SOPREMA, France
SOPREMA is one of the world’s leading players in the waterproofing, insulation and building protection sectors. Supported by a particularly active R&D department, SOPREMA has developed various waterproofing and insulation products based on the use of biosourced, wood-derived molecules.
- Suitability of mono-phenols from lignin for wood treatment, Vladimirs Biziks, Georg-August University Goettingen, Germany
10.30 am – 11.00 am : Coffee break and poster session
11.00 am – 12.30 pm : Oral communications
12.30 pm – 14.00 pm : Lunch
: Success stories presented by companies which innovate with wood-based chemistry
Chairman of WOODCHEM® 2019: Professeur Philippe GERARDIN
Pr Florent Allais, AgroParisTech, France
Pr. Luc Averous, University of Strasbourg, France
Pr. Nicolas Brosse, University of Lorraine, France
Pr. Alain Celzard, University of Lorraine, France
Pr. Christine Chirat, Grenoble INP-Pagora, France
Dr. Francis Colin, INRA, France
Pr. Christine Gérardin, University of Lorraine, France
Ms Amandine Goubert, Cosmetic Valley, France
Pr. Stéphane Grelier, University of Bordeaux, France
Pr Haswan Hussin, University Sains Malaysia, Malaisie
Mr Armand Klem, Norske Skog Golbey, France
Dr. Bernard Kurek, INRA, France
Pr. Marie Pierre Laborie, University of Freiburg, Germany
Dr. Marie-Christine Lagel, Pôle Fibres-Energivie, France
Ms Marina Lopez-Guia, Xylofutur, France
Pr. Holger Militz, University of Göttingen, Germany
Mr Rémi Perrin, Soprema, France
Pr. Arthur Ragauskas, University of Tennessee, USA
Pr. Lennart Salmen, RISE/Biorefinery, Sweden
Pr. Wasrin Syafii, Bogor University, Indonesia
Mr Jacky Vandeputte, Ms Amandine Goubert, Pôle IAR, France
Mr. Pascal Xanthopoulos, Polybridge, France
Pr. Lu Xiaoning, Nanjing Foustry University, Chine
Register with Woodchem® 2019
Be a speaker
We invite authors to contribute with oral communications and posters related to the topics covered by the congress.
Check out our rate to participate in the conference,
the meeting with forestry professionals and the cocktail-dinner.
Be a sponsor
Download our sponsoring proposal and be part of a meaningful event for your business.
Meeting FORESTRY PROFESSIONALS
On the 20th, a special program to bring forestry professionals together with Woodchem participants.